[Nottingham] HDD price rises

Rory Holland rory at linux.com
Thu Nov 3 14:25:23 UTC 2011

I don't think SATA3 is a thing. If you mean SATA 6Gbps, then yes, a
SATA6Gbps device will plug into a SATA3GBPS port, and will just run at the
lower speeds.

As far as manufacturers go, Samsung Spinpoint drives have always hit the
sweet spot of price, performance and reliability for me.

If you need a hard-drive, buy one. If you don't need one, wait around,
they're only going to get cheaper in the long-run. It's worth spending a
bit more for a proper branded one (No eBuyer Extra Value for me) since you
want it to last at least 5 years. When you consider this, the difference
between £60 and £80 hardly seems relevant.