[Nottingham] Router to Router?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 14:31:05 UTC 2011

On 30 November 2011 10:58, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Had a minor victory today in that I got my ancient Belkin DSL modem/router
> to act a switch when plugged into the Virgin Superhub - even if it was just
> a case of "guess the option"  ...

> I've left the Superhub alone (it runs the DHCP, wireless etc).  The Belkin
> is connected to the Superhub via one of its Ethernet ports.  On the Belkin I
> have disabled DHCP, Firewall, Wireless etc and told it to use the Internet
> WAN in "Dynamic IP (1438 bridged)" mode, all DNS settings left at "Auto from
> ISP".  I also changed its LAN IP to be in the range used by the Superhub,
> subnets are the same. ...

That sounds fine. I'm guessing the Belkin fortuitously has an IP
address for its web control page different to that for the superhub.

Then again, you could have easily just disabled the Belkin's DHCP,
ignored the WAN port on it, and just used the LAN ports as a dumb hub.
The superhub is Gbit with MDX so you may well have even not needed an
ethernet cross-over cable to connect between the two.

Anyhow, good experimenting! It's often usefully educational to coax
devices into alternative use :-)

(Is that why in the UK we name things for what they /are/ and it is up
to the user for how they are used, whereas in the USA everything is
blindly dumbed down to naming things by what they /do/ ...? ;-) )

Last Post beers later! :-)