[Nottingham] Router to Router?

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:54:53 UTC 2011

On 30/11/2011 10:58, Jason Irwin wrote:
> Had a minor victory today in that I got my ancient Belkin DSL
> modem/router to act a switch when plugged into the Virgin Superhub -
> even if it was just a case of "guess the option" and making random
> changes until it worked.  I'll have to use this until the new switch
> arrives (Netgear G608, Gigabit, 8 port jobby - any opinions?).  I'd
> just like to check that I've not done anything monumentally stupid
> with my kludge.
>
> I've left the Superhub alone (it runs the DHCP, wireless etc).  The
> Belkin is connected to the Superhub via one of its Ethernet ports.  On
> the Belkin I have disabled DHCP, Firewall, Wireless etc and told it to
> use the Internet WAN in "Dynamic IP (1438 bridged)" mode, all DNS
> settings left at "Auto from ISP".  I also changed its LAN IP to be in
> the range used by the Superhub, subnets are the same. Prior to this it
> was refusing to even acknowledge the the Superhub.
>
> Laptops plugged into the Belkin are getting IPs assigned from the
> Superhub OK and access to the Internet is working (obviously,
> otherwise I wouldn't be writing this).  I can also access the set-up
> pages of both routers.
>
> Does all this seem sensible enough for an interim solution?
>
> J.
> ps This reminds me just how much I need to go back and complete that
> HP networking course I signed up for.

Bit of a long way round, I think (once I got my groggy noggin round it).
All I did to my gear (Netgear 4+W+C and Busybox 4+1) was set the Busybox
to a different subnet, connected its WAN port to one of the LAN ports on
the Netgear which in turn ran the internet connection, and ran with two
networks - one for server use and one for gaming/transient hardware. I
think, I might be reading it wrong, that you've used one of the LAN
ports on your slave router rather than the WAN port to connect to the
other? Dunno, seems a bit of a waste of a perfectly usable port...