[Nottingham] 'elth 'n' safty gone Terry Gilliam Brazil bonkers?!

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 09:27:39 UTC 2011

On 06/10/11 10:16, Martin wrote:
>> Cool, can we re-spray every car, van and lorry high viz too before letting it out on the road.
>> They'll be making cats have reflective eyes next.
>
> We'll soon also be dazzled by hyper-bright laser headlights if a
> certain 'luxury' car manufacturer follows up on their latest sales
> hype. As well as being dazzled, you could well get dazzled by some
> unexpected holographic projections as the two headlights cause
> interference patterns... (Or how do you get a de-coherent laser...?)

Well, you could wear a visor, but a tint that stops more than 50% of the
light is not road legal, despite the fact the testing was so flawed you
would not believe it.

Also, from my understanding, bright colours can increase the effects of
motion-camouflage and looming.  Two major issues for two-wheeled users
(engine or no).

Relevance to GNU/Linux?  Well, there could be: http://tinyurl.com/yhw6lw7

> A problem with being 'too safe' is that people then get 'lazy/lax' and
> they themselves then become more dangerous to compensate for their
> fuzzy feeling of being invulnerable and 'too safe'...

Indeed.  And the safer people feel the more risks they take to bring the
level of danger back to whatever their personal norm is.  This is why
removing traffic lights and making roads feel dangerous can increase
safety.  This is also one argument that was used in Italy when the speed
limit was raised.

--
Jason Irwin