[Nottingham] Android update nefariousness?...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 20:06:12 UTC 2011

Folks,

Just noticed an android firmware update install itself just now and...

There's also some new unannounced 3rd-party apps that have appeared.
They are in the "system" directory and so they cannot be
uninstalled...

Is this the beginning of sneaky foisting of marketing-ware upon the
masses by the device suppliers?... And you are not even allowed to
uninstall it!

So, do you really need to root your device to go to the trouble to
repeatedly clean out the foisted bloat upon each update?...

Or... What was that app to block other apps from running?... ;-)

I wonder how many other people will notice that the device
manufacturers/suppliers are seizing control of the "user
experience"?...

So... Is that Android my device or not?... Not amused!