[Nottingham] The things one finds

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Oct 14 11:41:49 UTC 2011

On 14 October 2011 08:25, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 13/10/11 19:16, Rory Holland wrote:
>> "When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
>> price."
>
> I know the letter, I was wondering about the spirit.  You did read their
> copyright notice, yeah?
>
> "This item is copyrighted. Any reproduction, duplication or resale of
> this CD-ROM is prohibited."

Mmmm... Missed that bit. However, I think they can hide behind
ambiguity on that one. Their packaging artwork might be copyrighted.
Yet, they take their artwork from the artwork from the game code...
Also, the software is GPL copyleft (can be freely
copied/redistributed). What argument can be given to describe the
media?

Any lawyers?

> I'm tempted to ask them for the source code. :)
>
> Still, I guess if their support is reasonable it may be a reasonable
> enough service for the technophobic.

Indeed. Also good to more widely distribute the software for a nominal cost.

People may also be kicked into a greater wakefulness after they have
paid money to then later find that the software includes their right
to freedom and to freely distribute the software...

Interesting...

Why is life never simple?!

(Wait a minute... Isn't that why we climbed down from the trees?! ;-)
Therefore, are lawyers a continuation of that evolution?!! :-( ;-) )