[Nottingham] Fwd: [FSF] Stand up for your freedom to install free software

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Oct 18 21:25:44 UTC 2011

On 18 October 2011 09:00, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18/10/11 00:56, Martin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I wouldn't normally (ab)use the list for anything remotely of a
>> 'campaigning' nature, however this issue does imping upon our very
>> freedom to use readily available *hardware* to run GNU/Linux systems
>> (or indeed any other system).
>
> There's been quite a lot about this in the press (The Register,
> Slashdot, usual culprits).
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/21/secure_boot_firmware_linux_exclusion_fears/
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/23/ms_denies_uefi_lock_in/
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/26/uefi_linux_lock_out_row_latest/
>
> Basically MS want to make sure that the hardware will only boot a
> genuine Windows, and not boot ...

We forget that us folk on this list are likely highly motivated and
savvy enough to be able to do something about such pecuniary
restrictions. However, most of the rest of the world will just grunt
and give up and be forced to go out to buy a new machine...

> Further to what the FSF has said, I would consider writing to one's MP,
> MEP and the EU highlighting the possibilities for restriction on
> free-trade and abuse of a monopoly position.  One could also mention how
> this compounds the problems caused by the MS Tax (update: Here's the
> reply I got from the EU on their survey about the bundling of Windows:
> "" [i.e. nothing]).

I think we need to make some sort of noise even if only to 'persuade'
Microsoft that locking out a user's own hardware from non-Microsoft
general manufacturers is going too far to be considered acceptable and
without consequence.

The FSF petition is merely just one step:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement

Sometimes, we do need to fight for our freedoms.

Any other suggestions welcomed.

What do others think?