[Nottingham] rms

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 10:49:53 UTC 2011

On 2 September 2011 17:38, Paul Tew <binarybod at gmail.com> wrote:
> Very thought provoking, put me in mind of Ian M. Banks' Culture novels where
> the dominant society is free (as in speech AND beer).

That's also a theme of the "Star Trek" universe. However, never saw
any explanation of how that was supposed to work.

In any case... How do you avoid the danger of everyone hiding behind
the anonymity of The State and lazily excusing themselves that
everything is someone else's 'problem' and so causing the system to
collapse due to noone actually doing anything...

> I bought a copy of RMS's book and read it on the bus home. I've never been
> remotely interested in copyright or patents before but suffice to say, I missed
> my stop by 1 mile and in a boring 45 minute journey, that takes some doing!
>
> Paul
>
> N.B. Consider Phlebas is my favourite.

Just made a brief start on rms's book. Nicely written so far. See how
far I get before this Wednesday! ;-)

So far I've been keeping off the Ian Banks series for rather a long
time now until I can get some consistent reading time... :-(