[Nottingham] [Talk] *Tomorrow* Wednesday 07/09/2011: What has FLOSS done for us?!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Sep 6 12:37:12 UTC 2011

Folks,

Something I'm still musing over...

The Karen Sandler talk from OSCON 2011 still has me thinking,
especially being as that is so deeply personal for something that her
life depends up, and yet there are the exact same issues for all of us
that touch technology...

YouTube: OSCON 2011: Karen Sandler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZGpES-St8

*Tomorrow* Wednesday 07/09/2011:

To paraphrase a certain famous quote:

   “What has the GPL ever done for us?”

Hopefully for more significance than The People's Front of Judea :-)

> After the recent highly focused talk to the group by Dr Richard
> Stallman (FSF) highlighting some aspects of our freedoms and the
> compromises compromising those freedoms, this meeting is a chance to
> discuss what *we* think… And also to see what all this means for the
> world of software and IT and people in general.
>
> FLOSS is certainly always in the news, and especially so at the moment
> for various reasons...
>

> What has FLOSS done for us?!
> http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2011/09/what-has-floss-done-for-us/533
>
> For Free/Libre... Is there really only Dr Richard Stallman shouting
> for our freedoms?
>
> *What do you all think* ?
>

> All at our discussion meeting at:
>
> Fellows Morton and Clayton
> 54 Canal Street
> Nottingham, NG1 7EH
> Telephone: 0115 9506795
>
> To find us,  go through to the back of the pub and we’re up the spiral
> staircase in the restaurant. Just ask one of the friendly bar staff
> for NLUG if lost.
>
> Food is also served through into the evening.
>
> Wednesday 07/09/2011:
>
>    7:30pm: Meet
>    8:00pm: Talk
>    9:00pm: General discussions