[Nottingham] chroot-ed file transfer

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Sep 9 16:41:58 UTC 2011

> The list I gave shows the server applications that I know of that
> implement their own 'chroot'. They're easy. That leaves scp and rsync
> unsupported for an easy 'chroot'. I'd rather not waste time
> scripting/maintaining a custom chroot updater for those!
>
> I especially would like an easily chroot-ed rsync-over-ssh...

OK... So this is quickly turning into a FAQ...

I can't see a good way for using scp or rsync via rssh on the server
and having access chroot-ed for multiple users.

Any comment for not allowing any shell access at all (it's not needed
for the other methods of file transfer) and so for rsync using the
rsync daemon mode?

Still wondering about a good solution for scp, other than to not allow
its use...