[Nottingham] Linux attacks in the news

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:49:51 UTC 2011

On 12/09/11 14:45, Martin wrote:
> Security scares are so commonplace in the tech industry today that
> it's virtually impossible to keep track of them all. Security scares
> in the Linux world, however, are still rare enough as to cause at
> least a small collective gasp of consternation.

I actually think that's part of the issue.  There is the myth of "Linux
is secure", "There are no viruses for Linux" etc.
So people get the idea that just running a Linux distro of some type
suddenly makes them golden.  So the tech tearing their hair out doesn't
think that way, just their PHB.
Those myths may hold true to a certain extent, but that does not hold
true for installed app.  If you put an unpatched pphBB on a hard-core
distro, it'll still get pwned.  What that gets report as is a good question.

> Don't trust unguarded ssh-keys automatic access!
If I understood what that meant, I'd comply.

I just set my password to "1234".  That's enough isn't it?

--
Jason Irwin