[Nottingham] Android Freedoms - Or lack of?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 07:35:27 UTC 2011

On 20/09/11 19:07, Martin wrote:
> Is Android really free software?

Heh.  Caught that, not had a chance to read the articles yet.

I finished his book whilst on holiday and it's interesting.  His views
on software patents etc and the general concept of freedoms I can agree
with.  He appears to have some rather twisted views on how science works
(maybe things are different in the USA?).  I think he is totally wrong
on copyright.  I do not understand why he thinks that it is 'OK' to
trade the work of another without remuneration, that society has some
inalienable right to take a persons work and not reward them for it.
Sorry, but that is just so wrong on so many levels that I do not know
where to begin.

Of course, that does not mean that the copyright system isn't abused
because it sure as heck is; and that also does not mean that copyright
shouldn't be limited to some sensible term.  But really, being able to
copy any work in full and pass it around?  No, sorry.  Wrong.

I was very interested to read the essays on the GPL.  It seems that the
"...blah de blah and licensed under GPLv3, or any later version..." is
merely a suggestion to include in the license notice and not actually
part of the license itself.  So one is free to include it or not.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong in all the above (I often am).

Can't make tonight due to other commitments, normal service should
resume in a fortnight.

--
Jason Irwin