[Nottingham] Android Freedoms - Or lack of?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 12:30:24 UTC 2011

On 21 September 2011 13:08, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> On 21 September 2011 08:35, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 20/09/11 19:07, Martin wrote:
>>> Is Android really free software?
[---]
>> (maybe things are different in the USA?).  I think he is totally wrong
>> on copyright.  I do not understand why he thinks that it is 'OK' to
>> trade the work of another without remuneration, that society has some
>> inalienable right to take a persons work and not reward them for it.
>> Sorry, but that is just so wrong on so many levels that I do not know
>> where to begin.
[---]

All depending on whether you take a commercial view or an academic
good-for-all-mankind view? There is an awful lot of our culture
inaccessibly locked away by commercial greed and 'copyright'... Often
cynically only to be released upon the death of the particular
artist...

>> Of course, that does not mean that the copyright system isn't abused
>> because it sure as heck is; and that also does not mean that copyright
>> shouldn't be limited to some sensible term.  But really, being able to
>> copy any work in full and pass it around?  No, sorry.  Wrong.
>
> Well... Looks like the media/music/film industry have recently lobbied
> hard (expensively) enough to abuse the system yet further to a term of
> SEVENTY YEARS for the EU...

The actual story:

EU recording copyright extension 'will cost €1bn'
Record companies, not artists, will benefit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/20/kretschmer_consumers_lose_out_when_artists_get_copyright_extension/