[Nottingham] 'Memtest86+' for HDDs and SSDs?

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:42:22 UTC 2012

On 24/04/2012 13:49, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We have the excellent Memtest86+ for testing system RAM and the
> connections through to the CPU.
>
> Is there anything equivalent for testing that the HDDs and SSDs in a
> system are fully functional?
>

> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> Memtest86+
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memtest86

The best one I've ever come across is HDSentinel. It runs in two modes:
boot and embedded. In boot mode it gives you the snapshot health status
of the drive, in embedded mode it gives realtime status, but the
downside is that it does cause some overhead: not recommended if you're
stream capturing in HD, as this will disrupt the capture.

Citation: 10 years experience burning in and burning out hard drives in
commercial environments.