[Nottingham] A few talk titles

Roger Light roger at atchoo.org
Tue Dec 4 16:37:23 UTC 2012

>> With regards to this, there is a minor point: because they are "free",
>> should they be immune from critique or other negative comment?
>> Does "don't complain, raise a bug" impinge on freedom?
>
> Of course not!
>
> I do strongly believe that as people who choose to use free software,
> and are educated as to the nuances of Free, we have a social contract
> to provide constructive feedback. This would be the thesis of my talk.

I would take the view that you have the freedom to simply complain but
I also have the freedom to ignore you. On the flip side it makes me
inordinately happy when I get bugs reported with detailed information
or even "this change will fix things". I try to make sure that the
person reporting the bug goes away satisfied that their problem has
been solved and about as importantly that they are glad they submitted
the bug in the first place. It doesn't always work, but you can at
least try.

Constructive feedback works both ways. Whilst I can sympathise with
developers who removed features or don't want to include others,
threads like this one just make me cringe:
http://redmine.lighttpd.net/boards/3/topics/4782 Are any of the people
involved likely to want to contribute anything in the future after
having been shouted down? Unlikely.

Cheers,

Roger