[Nottingham] Ubuntu + Amazon

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:43:03 UTC 2012

On 11/12/12 17:42, Martin wrote:
>  Unity ain't all that bad...
Meh, there's a couple of wee things that we just deal-breakers for me.
The hanging of the UI was one, the dock was another (dunno why, I just
don't get on with docks).  There were some nice things - I quite liked
the HUD, for example.

> OUCH! What is that Amazon connection doing there, prominently placed?...
Well, there's been a few bugs raised about it and quite a lot of recent
chat about it.

Some reading:
http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do
http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/12/07/on-richard-stallman-and-ubuntu/
http://www.jonobacon.org/2012/12/10/on-being-childish-an-apology/

> I'm very happy for business to be made from FLOSS. It just has to be
> clear and open and free from the all too often seen 'sharp practice'.
I thought it was mentioned during part of the install process; I may be
wrong because I already knew about it as was planning on nuking it from
low-orbit.

I can kinda see the idea behind it; integrating the web/cloud more
seamlessly with the desktop and can really see how integrating with your
SeaFile/OwnCloud/Whatever web-based system could be good.  I can also
see how such a "shopping lens" might be useful if you wanted to quickly
scan a bunch of retailers at once.  Awesome idea.  And if this had been
implemented as a separate feature or a "Wanna search on-line?" button of
something; I'd have no issues with it at all because it would be working
at the suers specific request.

But already opted-in and sending your file searches to back to mother?
(Which MS do too, I believe.)  Really?  Canoncial make much of how they
anonymise the data and Amazon don't know who you are.  Well there's a
few problems with that:
1) Just how well is the data anonymised?  Remember the AOL "anonymoised"
data leak?  Yeah, so much for anonymity.
2) Amazon may not know who I am but Canoncial sure as heck do; can I
trust Canonical?
3) I am not sure if the requests are over HTTP or HTTPS; if it's HTTP
now my ISP can find out what I'm looking for locally, and anyone else if
I'm in on shared WiFi (e.g. cafe)

I totally get that Canonical needs money.  There's little-to-no hardware
shipping with Ubuntu pre-installed, so OEM deal ain't going to do it and
if we don't pay (or don't pay enough) it has to come from somewhere else
or we lose Canoncial.  Who, for all the flak they have taken, have
probably done more to popularise GNU/Linux to the general public than
anyone else.  Or anyone else I happen to be aware of at any rate, Ubuntu
was the first GNU/Linux distro I heard of that was considered usable by
an Joe Average (i.e. me).

All that said, it does concern me the direction Canonical seems to be
taking.  I think it will sad if they become an some kind of
walled-garden, and considering some of Bacon's comments above, it seems
that might be the case.  Apple works well *only* if you remain within
the Apple-defined use cases; step even slightly off the beaten path and
you enter a world of hurt*.  This does not seem to happen with GNU/Linux.

J.
*I'm looking at you, QuickTime.  And Safari.