[Nottingham] A Google Webmaster Scam?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Dec 19 17:08:54 UTC 2012

On 19/12/12 02:58, Andy White wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 02:36:02AM +0000, Martin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> So we've had our website on Wordpress for a good while now and...
>>
>> After upgrading to the latest Wordpress 3.5, Google have dropped this
>> bombshell and have insisted that I join the "Webmasters Tools" site to
>> remove their blacklisting from the NLUG site...
>>
>> So... Is this for real?!
>
> google's apparently objecting to references to http://ozecqnxm.qhigh.com.
>
> Poking around in the js, you can see that there are src parameters
> to http://ozecqnxm.qhigh.com/terafegwqegwg.cgi?5

Indeed so! A quick grep has soon found that. Looks damned suspicious.

Thanks for that. So how did you find that one?

> which appears to be a 404, so I'm not sure what the original intent is/was.
>
> This is made in events00.js, jquery00.js, jquery01.js, jquery02.js,
> jquery-c.js, script00.js, tabs_sli.js
>
> http://www.google.com.au/search?q=http://ozecqnxm.qhigh.com/terafegwqegwg.cgi?5&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest
>
> also pops up some info.

Many thanks,

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg