[Nottingham] Anti ACTA-Protest

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 00:49:20 UTC 2012

On 31/01/12 22:53, kurtisbrown2 at sky.com wrote:
> Is it just going to end up as a publicity stunt for anonymous? I
> agree that ACTA is good for no one, but worry things like this just
> won't help.
>
> Kurtis Brown ------------------
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Tim Dobson <lists at tdobson.net>
> Sender: nottingham-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012
> 22:48:12 To: Notts GNU/Linux Users
> Group<nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> Reply-To: Notts GNU/Linux Users
> Group <nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk> Subject: [Nottingham] Anti
> ACTA-Protest
>
> Hi there,
>
> I thought people might be vaguely interested in an Anti-ACTA Protest
> happening this Saturday.
>
> ACTA almost certainly would not be a good thing for the linux or
> open source communities.

This all follows on hard on the heels of the SOPA/PIPA push... Looks
like a small part of the media industry has been quietly lobbying very
hard for some time... Not good for anyone else...

For the Facebook page, I too am a little circumspect for the publicity
stunt aspect...

Another campaign that should gain some very good positive impact is:

ACTA: The new threat to the net
http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet/?fp

They campaign on various worthy causes and seem to be building into a
significant people-force that can't be ignored.

There's a very good parody of where we seem to be getting pushed on:

The Right to Read

Looks like a follow-on letter to my MP is due. For good credit due, I
received a positive response and she's looking up the issue of "deep
packet inspection"...

martin at ml1.co.uk