[Nottingham] SSDs

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 23:25:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have a OCZ 60GB drive (bought from eBuyer as it happens - used them
a lot in the past, haven't really had a problem with them but their
prices do seem up a bit lately) and haven't had problems with it.

http://www.ebuyer.com/225415-ocz-60gb-vertex-2e-ssd-oczssd2-2vtxe60g-oczssd2-2vtxe60g

That drive is actually cheaper now than when I bought it.

I appreciate the silence and the speed. 60Gb is more than enough for a
Linux distro, but if there are better deals on larger ones, I would be
tempted as they might last longer.

I avoided a swap partition. After rough benchmarks I ditched LVM. I
made sure trim was working.

I checked my netbook chipset was specced to run fast enough to make
the most of the drive's speed (it does SATA II so up to 3Gb/sec, about
right and certainly not worth getting any faster SSD; if the chipset
only did SATA I then I would be wasting my money).

There have been some doubts cast over the OCZ benchmark specs, I
wouldn't be surprised if all manufacturers did similar things though:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/14/ocz_and_ddrdrive_performance_row/

-Cam