[Nottingham] [NSFW] My "niche adult blog" - for those to whom this makes sense

Rory Holland rory at linux.com
Thu Jan 19 10:12:36 UTC 2012

With regards to why I like My Little Pony, I should first clear up a few
issues:

Firstly, there's no irony involved. It's not a joke at the expense of the
Internet, and it's not a troll.
Secondly, I enjoy the show for what it is, a children's cartoon. There
doesn't have to be any subtext "for adults" in order for it to be enjoyable.
Many of the people who worked on cartoons I used to watch as a child, like
Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, Pound Puppies, and Foster's Home for
Imaginary Friends, now work on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Thirdly, it is only Friendship is Magic, the current TV edition of My
Little Pony, which I enjoy. The earlier stuff was simply written as an
extended TV ad to sell the toys, and all the characters were cutesy-pie
talking horses who had tea parties and shit like that. It was crap.
Fourthly, there's a huge online community built up around the fandom.
Bronies make music, artwork and fiction based on the show, and a lot of it
is exceptionally good quality. It's also one of the nicest communities on
the Internet, priding itsself on its love and tolerance.

I'd also like to include the following quote from the My Little Pony
Subreddit FAQ <http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/MyLittlePony>:

*It's like being served a pink cupcake prepared by an Iron Chef. I can't
tell you its a thick beefy steak, or a subtle, intricate sushi dish. It's a
pink cupcake. But! It's a pink cupcake prepared by absolute masters, and
they put some flavors in there that pink cupcakes usually don't have that
still manage to taste really good.*