[Nottingham] "ntpq -p" displayed flags

Chris Booth Chris.Booth at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 25 12:48:51 UTC 2012

Hi Martin,

Couple of links you could add:

/usr/share/docs/ntp-4.2*/debug.html

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1305.txt  or the pdf at: http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1305.pdf

The meanings (that you have already gathered together on your web page) of  ntpd -p's output are explicitly explained in:  /usr/share/docs/ntp-4.2*/debug.html  from where I get this quote: "The mean millisecond time offset (phase) and deviation (jitter) monitor the clock quality".  So *I guess* that means that the jitter number printed is a value indicating a range to indicate the accuracy of the phase value.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1305.txt  has more details on how NTP is to handle the random noise (jitter) of hardware clocks, or fluctuations (jitter) in the network.  It also has an interesting explication of the changes in and relations between our timekeeping systems over the past 5,000 years or so - worth a quick read.

.PTB. are the German timekeepers.
.DCFa. is from an NTP radio receiver.

Cheers,

Chris Booth