[Nottingham] "ntpq -p" displayed flags

Camilo Mesias camilo at mesias.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 16:03:36 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> What I have run out of time with is... How do you know what accuracy you
> are running with? What timing error can be expected from what ntpq can
> tell you? (Simply :-) )

That's a good summary on your webpage - would have been helpful if I'd
found something like that instead of the lore-filled manuals I managed
with.

Accuracy wise, it should be low ms, provided it's synced. In practical
terms, say if you have a roomful of equipment all flashing LEDs in
some pattern, they will be synchronised and appear to all be flashing
together.

It's really showing its age now that every cellphone and gadget can
have GPS and accurate time for a very low cost.

Will you be writing up PTP (IEEE 1588) next? ;-)

-Cam