[Nottingham] Getting into Python

Rory Holland rory at linux.com
Mon Jul 2 15:09:30 UTC 2012

Do you want a project? I have something I need done and it would be perfect
as a tutorial for the beginner/intermediate scripter

   1. Use the following Atom feed:
   http://www.equestriadaily.com/feeds/posts/default/-/Drawfriend?max-results=10000
   2. Locate the link to the full post references in each entry
   3. Download the target page for each entry (This is all the blog posts
   on this site with the label "Drawfriend")
   4. You will have a directory full of HTML pages
   5. Use the BeautifulSoup parser to download all the full sized images
   for each post. (Hint: Each image is inside a <div class="separator"> tag,
   and its URL is the "href" attribute of the <a> tag)
   6. It might be a good idea to use the workerpool module to download all
   the images in one post at the same time. There's a tutorial on the
   workerpool module webpage.
   7. ???
   8. Profit

sudo easy_install workerpool