[Nottingham] Getting into Python

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jul 3 11:23:13 UTC 2012

On 03/07/12 10:11, Eben Till wrote:
> Has anyone got any good references on numpy? Looks pretty interesting
>
> ~Eben

http://numpy.scipy.org/

NumPy is the fundamental package for scientific computing with Python.
It contains among other things:

    a powerful N-dimensional array object
    sophisticated (broadcasting) functions
    tools for integrating C/C++ and Fortran code
    useful linear algebra, Fourier transform, and random number capabilities

Besides its obvious scientific uses, NumPy can also be used as an
efficient multi-dimensional container of generic data. Arbitrary
data-types can be defined. This allows NumPy to seamlessly and speedily
integrate with a wide variety of databases.

Looks useful for data bashing... (And more reliably so than bash! OK, so
bash was only ever intended for system scripting...)

For a diversion... So what does this do with horses? Or shouldn't I ask?!

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Rory Holland ****
>
>     Do you want a project? I have something I need done and it would be
>     perfect as a tutorial for the beginner/intermediate scripter
>
>      1. Use the following Atom feed:
>         http://www.equestriadaily.com/feeds/posts/default/-/Drawfriend?max-results=10000
>      2. Locate the link to the full post references in each entry
>      3. Download the target page for each entry (This is all the blog
>         posts on this site with the label "Drawfriend")
>      4. You will have a directory full of HTML pages
>      5. Use the BeautifulSoup parser to download all the full sized
>         images for each post. (Hint: Each image is inside a <div
>         class="separator"> tag, and its URL is the "href" attribute of
>         the <a> tag)
>      6. It might be a good idea to use the workerpool module to download
>         all the images in one post at the same time. There's a tutorial
>         on the workerpool module webpage.
>      7. ???
>      8. Profit
>
>     sudo easy_install workerpool
>     sudo easy_install beautifulsoup
>     will help you here

?!

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg