[Nottingham] Portable computing choices [was: Nottingham Digest, Vol 453, Issue 5]

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:12:59 UTC 2012

On 20/07/12 09:09, Nigel Page wrote:
> What to buy, down at Carphone Warehouse there is such an array of
> mobile computers to buy, smart phones, tablets medium and larger,

Get an account at "quidco.co.uk", then buy from someone like "e2save"
via quidco.
Use the cashback options and laugh yourself silly as you get a free
phone and free contract (depends on how the offers stack up).
Also check out http://www.hotukdeals.com/

Once I have some cashflow I want to pick up a netbook.  From my reading
the target platform of choice would seem to be an AMD C-60 CPU.  So
something like an Acer Aspire One, but with an SSD rather than spinning
platters.  Really - who the heck needs 320GB on a netbook?  Yeesh!  And
no OS if possible (I don't want to pay the MS tax).

If you have the budget and fancy taking a risk, there is that KDE tablet
coming http://www.makeplaylive.com/

Mechanical keyboards are hard to come by these days and pricey when you
do.  Most are membrane with a simple click/spring thing on top, but you
can still buy proper ones: http://www.daskeyboard.com There are others
(e.g. Optimus Maximums) and you can expect to pay some silly prices
(e.g. >£1,000).

J.