[Nottingham] Mozilla Spaces opens in London

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sun Jun 3 04:33:59 UTC 2012

Hi Martin,

On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 09:05:32PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> An interesting move:
>
> Mozilla Spaces opens in London
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Mozilla-Spaces-opens-in-London-1572201.html
>
> Good, bad, or curious?

There's already a hackspace and it seems a lot less pretentious and
more open:

https://london.hackspace.org.uk/

> Really "open" or are there ulterior motives? Or am I being overly
> 'cautious'?

IMHO Mozilla are seeing the rise of hacker spaces and trying to tag
along, which is a smart move, however I personally believe that such
organisations are best run entirely by their members for that
purpose.

Whilst the Mozilla Foundation is a non-profit, their primary goal is
producing a suite of desktop internet applications and competing in
that arena. Their goal is not in running community spaces for anyone
to work on whatever they like.

I would be concerned that they would be looking to turn community
efforts into support for their project as opposed to their project
_being_ supporting community efforts, if you see what I mean.

Cheers,
Andy