[Nottingham] [Talk] *TODAY* Wednesday 06/06/2012 ...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 11:14:07 UTC 2012

On 06/06/12 08:48, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 06/06/12 01:53, Martin wrote:
>> Well... There is a talk planned although it may well be a JIT in coming
>> together...
>
> Yes, maybe, perhaps, could be.
>
> The talk today will be me flapping my gums about "free culture" as a
> response to the ever increasing grasp of big media and their attacks on
> our freedoms.  I just hope I can get it written during lunch time...
>
> There will even be a movie!  So bring popcorn. :)

That was definitely a JIT ;-)

Even more so for the delayed flying txt-ing whilst en-route on the bus!
Darn that flying lightning!!

None-the-less, both speakers (my Netbook and Jason himself) gave a good
and interesting show, aided nicely by some fine ales.

On this occasion, we got drowned out by some rather noisy and
pretentiously poshly dressed revellers. Hence, after a few bites/bytes
to eat at the Fellows, we wandered over to Ye Olde Trip for the much
quieter snug area there. We passed by our old haunt The Navigation to
find it very LOUDLY haunted and no longer suitable for our meetings...

Thanks to Jason for a very good and informative and thoughtful show. I'd
never realized just what has happened to Copyright. A sample of three
others in the Trip hadn't a clue either.

Have we all been subjugated by the popcorn (media) industry out to
enslave and "monetized" our very own culture?... Seems that's very much
in progress... :-(

Are people aware enough to refuse to be so stifled? Are we aware enough
to forge our own new 'marketplace' and promote and support a culture of
freedom?

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Copyright_term.svg

/How long/ is that?! For real?!! For fair play? For /everything/ ??!

Very select grouping. Good talk. (And some good beer :-) )

Next we have:

20/06/2012 7:30pm
Organ Grinding a Shabab
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/event/organ-grinding-a-shabab

21/06/2012 7:30pm
A Royal HHGTTG
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/event/a-royal-hhgttg

And the big man himself (The GNU God?)

23/06/2012 1:30pm
rms - The Free Software Movement
http://nottingham.lug.org.uk/event/rms-the-free-software-movement

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

JIT: Just In Time, as used with Java

--
-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7