[Nottingham] Communications Data Bill

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Sun Jun 17 00:22:25 UTC 2012

On 16/06/12 14:53, Martin wrote:
> On 15/06/12 21:35, Paul Sladen wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Jason Irwin wrote:
>>
>> Here's the draft text for the bill itself:
>>
>>   "Draft Communications Data Bill" (12 June 2012, but released later)
>>   http://www.official-documents.gov.uk/document/cm83/8359/8359.pdf [1]
>>
>> and if after carefully reading it, you find anything you would like
>> to discuss with your MP, you may use:
>>
>>   http://www.writetothem.com/
>

> The first steps towards this?
>
> Ethiopia clamps down on Skype and other internet use on Tor
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18461292
>
> #####
> "This is a country where surveillance is very important - due to years
> of all the conflicts and political rivalry," said Mr Pierre.
>
> "The opposition and the media are being listened to, and people usually
> take care when they talk on the phone.
> #####
>

> (Yes... I know that the communication /content/ is supposedly not to be
> included... Believable?)
>
> Martin

When the mean "data" they are saying not the content of that data - they say they will only
collect say the name of the web site or the e-mail addresses that you contacted. The data
would include any passwords - in which case they have the data. I've read the bill - it
gives every one the right to access data - who the Sec of State chooses. Besides real
criminals do not use the same networks as we do. They don't use facebook or gmail or
anything else to which the public uses.

So the question is why do the government want to access normal people's data activities?
It's not to counter terrorism - paedophiles or criminal actions. I think that what it is
that when you do a trace route a ping - it only gives the authorities the box to which your
ISP has - not the address of the connection - so they want the actual address - for example
you can narrow down to a box in a street but not the house number by asking ISPs to collect
individual data - the police or whoever have access to the house number to which the
connection is made from.

In tracking paedophiles the police monitor a site - then whoever logs in they do a trace
route they then get to a box in the street and then ask the ISP for the address of the
person. There new powers will mean that all ISPs will collect user data to identify where
people are actually making their connections from. All users? Well yes. Everyone. An ISP has
to collect every connection and who you are - every one. That's a lot of data.

Millions of connections per day - countless in a "year" - how can you sift out those that
are performing some illegal activity? It gives the power to the Sec of State and whoever he
says access to every connection you make and collects data on who and where you are. It
treats us all as criminals - without exception. Now that is contrary to law where every one
is innocent until proven guilty.

The Bill is an infringement on our civil liberties.

David

- --
https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com/blog - cryptology - for books
how-to's - mailing lists and more