[Nottingham] dnsmasq ad-block exception

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 13:28:53 UTC 2012

On 17/06/12 14:16, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 17/06/12 13:54, Martin wrote:
>> Nahh... That's too boring. Set up a fun random selection of icons to
>> show what adverts have been swatted/obliterated :->
> Hmmm....have it replace the unwanted ad with one for a F/OSS project?

Nnnnnoooooooo! That's just as bad a form of pollution!

> Or a picture of a cat (a bit like AdBlockPlus can no do/did for a bit).

More like it, if you like cats.

>> ps: Do you not mean "png" rather than the evil gif?
> Nup, gif. http://proxytunnel.sourceforge.net/pixelserv.php
> And when they say "minimal", they really do mean minimal!

Neat: "a super minimal webserver, it's one and only purpose is serving a
1x1 pixel transparent gif file" :-)

But still, why gif and not png? After all, did we not convert all web
images to png to thwart a submarine patent extortion attack from the gif
people some time ago?...

Now... I've got Apache2 running... What's the trick to set up a dummy
site that has the "one and only purpose is serving a 1x1 pixel
transparent png file"?

Or even to always serve regardless of the request one of a random
selection of semi-transparent amusing icons? :-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg