[Nottingham] gpgpwd - keeping a commandline passwords list

Paul Tew binarybod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 06:05:26 UTC 2012

On 20 June 2012 10:03, Mike Cardwell <nlug at lists.grepular.com> wrote:

> Historically Windows has been insecure because it put usability ahead
> of security and has let users do stupid things. Modern Windows is
> getting much much better though. Windows 7 seems to actually be pretty
> decent. It will be interesting to watch Windows 8 struggle on the desktop.

Yes, I'm just as interested, it has the potential to be a raging success or
another Windows Millenium moment.

> I wont be happy until full disk encryption is the default, and you
> have to go out of your way to disable it. I suspect that would make
> your job a little bit harder though ;) Just out of interest, what
> proportion of the machines you receive for analysis, use full disk
> encryption? How about the GNU/Linux ones?
>
> Er - none. I come across encrypted containers all the time but FDE - I've
yet to see it. Most of the Linux machines are Ubuntu variants where
encrypting the /home directory is just a matter of ticking a check box
during setup but it seems that even this simple expedient isn't being done.

Paul