[Nottingham] Thunderbird Enigmail (OpenPGP) add-on "bad passphrase" error/problem (solution)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Mar 13 23:11:42 UTC 2012

Folks,

Quite a gotcha that I've just stumbled across...

For gpg encryption and signing to work for your email using the
Thunderbird Enigmail add-on, you need to have installed all of:

gpg2
gpg-agent

and also the bits that were missing for my example:

pinentry
pinentry-gtk2

(There's also a pinentry-qt4 that might be used instead of pinentry-gtk2
for preference.)

There was no useful error message given other than there was no option
to enter your passphrase and a rather cryptic message was given in a
dialog box about a "bad passphrase".

I think there's a missing dependency or two for my system at least!

All good fun!

Hope that helps someone else equally bemused...

martin at ml1.co.uk