[Nottingham] Bistromathematics

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Mar 16 12:37:30 UTC 2012

On 16/03/12 10:34, Jason Irwin wrote:
> But for real.
>
> http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TEDTalks_video/~3/8keik4VHNFE/rob_reid_the_8_billion_ipod.html
>
> Freakin' hilarious.

Very good example, very well presented, for a very sad message.

A hilarious giggle except that certain companies are making out that it
is really for real!...

A powerful and well presented follow-on from that site is:

#####
Larry Lessig on laws that choke creativity

http://www.ted.com/talks/larry_lessig_says_the_law_is_strangling_creativity.html

Larry Lessig, the Net’s most celebrated lawyer, cites John Philip Sousa,
celestial copyrights and the "ASCAP cartel" in his argument for reviving
our creative culture.

Harvard professor Larry Lessig is one of our foremost authorities on
copyright issues, with a vision for reconciling creative freedom with
marketplace competition.
#####

An important point made there is that the "media industry" have made it
such that ordinary people, every day, are living against the law.

*We are all illegal* ?!

There is also the important precedent in law of "common sense".

Perhaps all our MPs need to see this to then apply some common sense
that is not corrupted by the powerful lobbying by certain commercial
concerns... I personally consider that creativity and development is
being needlessly and severely stifled.

This is all a part of our freedoms...

martin at ml1.co.uk