[Nottingham] FLOSS Project Planners

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Mar 19 00:53:28 UTC 2012

On 16/03/12 16:42, Martin wrote:
> Anyone tried any FLOSS project planners?
>
> Linux Format ran a recent article on them which shows quite a poor
> picture for what seems to be available. Do geeks really not need to plan
> anything?! :-(
>
> So, any recommendations?
>
> Are there any "CMS"-like LAMP (web) applications that include project
> planning?
>

> (Or is MS-Project the only option? :-( )

How useful they are depends upon your Project Management methdology
(e.g. for PRINCE2 you might be best customising Plone, as you'll
have a lot of paperwork to deal with!).

I've had some success with Feng Office [1] and liked Chandler [2]
when I tried it some time ago.

Other than that, ad hoc use of wikis works well or, if everyone
involved is okay with outlining mode, I work from org-mode [3]
(on Emacs or Android) and send folded text [4] back and forth
(versioned) to ppl who may be using something else (it imports
and exports its outline text to HTML, mindmaps, and much else).

While I suspect the last solution may not be everyone's cup of tea,
the real point is that everyone has different requirements, and
it depends on what scale of project you want to manage :-)

  - Richard

[1]
<http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/online-collaboration-with-feng-office/>
(in the magazine this was 24 screenshots with captions - the online
version doesn't make as much sense)
http://fengoffice.com/web/index.php

[2]
<http://chandlerproject.org/vision#Processing,%20Organizing%20and%20Manag>