[Nottingham] nonplussed

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 15:27:37 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 11:58, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 21/03/12 11:16, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> As you have Linux and Thunderbird installed I will give you a
>> guide what to do.
> Thanks, I shall try this at lunch.  I have already "Enigmail"
> installed and keys set-up but I find it a pain to use*.  It also
> can't seem to make it's mind up if it is providing OpenPGP, GPG or
> S/MIME (or maybe all these are the same - I didn't find the
> documentation very clear).

Works a treat here :-)

Due to an almighty spanner-in-the-works of out-of-date email clients
for a certain dinosaur of a company that doesn't support email
signing(!), your best option is to keep with plain text and use
"traditional" GPG signing.

If you're going to be a bit more modern, then use PGP/MIME and accept
that some dinosaurs will not be able to read your message.

S/MIME looks to be something that is too cumbersome to ever happen
unless picked up for some football fun by dinosaurs.

All summarised on:

http://www.phildev.net/pgp/pgp_clear_vs_mime.html
http://www.phildev.net/pgp/pgp-111705.pdf (Note PDF presentation)

(And those are pulled from our links page:

http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/links ;-) )

> I guess the thing to do is remove everything back to a clean slate
> and try again.

Always good for troubleshooting...

Note my earlier fun with needing to manually select for the pinentry
UI to be installed...

Good luck,
Martin

- --