[Nottingham] vavai.com (Was: no subject)

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed Mar 21 18:20:15 UTC 2012

On 21/03/12 17:00, Martin wrote:
> On 21/03/12 15:40, david at gbenet.com wrote:
>> On 21/03/12 14:55, Martin wrote:
>>> On 21/03/12 08:26, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> Phew! Quite a site on:
>
>>> http://vavai.com/
>
>>> Not sure if that's a company site or just an extensive personal
>>> blog! And what language is that in?!
>
>>> Whatever, there's certainly a fondness for all things Linux there
>>> :-)
>

>>> And "anti-virus" on Linux?... You checking for Windows malware?
>
>>> Cheers, Martin
>
>> Hi Martin,
>
>> It's amazing what's on  there - past distros and all! At first I
>> thought Italy but then a Whois showed:
>
>> Administrative Contact: Crescenzi, Joe
>> DomainAdmin at CouponPages.Com CouponPages.Com
> [...]
>
> Hey! It's not good to show off personal details out in the clear on
> public maillists...
>

>> Am I getting paranoid in my old age? In  the 20 or so years of
>> Linux not a single virus. Then 15 years of IBM's OS/2 not a single
>> virus. But for the odd 2 or 3 friends that run Windoze I get the
>> odd phishing or virus. BTW ClamAV even suggests that files normally
>> found on your system contain a virus ............... so I never
>> quite trusted what it would say.
>
> Unfortunately, a certain dinosaur in the world of computing has badly
> mis-educated the public about expectations and security for computer
> systems... To my mind, criminally so... The hard part is to re-educate
> the public that computers can simply work reliably and securely and be
> easy to use, simply. But we digress...
>

>> How you getting on with encryption?
>
> Works fine. However, I do agree with Jason that the signing system
> needs packaging in a more friendly way and with greater consistency
> for the package names. Then again, that is a bug for the packagers to
> pick up for whichever distros...
>

> Cheers,
> Martin

I would agree to have a common user interface that would install all you need - a bit like
windoze GPG4Win - or if everything got installed correctly when you first installed a Linux
system on your box. For me - I have a problem with seahorse-agent it fails to run and Kgpg
ran only once and never did again. But all these are dependency issues which could be
resolved by a once off installation routine that installed everything and leaving the
end-user with a single common interface. But with hundreds of people doing their little bit
for each distro we are not likely to get it.

Did you publish your key? I failed to get it. Oh well...........

David