[Nottingham] Two rather simple questions

James Moore jmthelostpacket at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:57:30 UTC 2012

On 20/03/2012 18:49, Jason Irwin wrote:
> 1) Can anyone recommend a screen cleaner that actually works without
> leaving dirty, greasy streaks on the LCD screen?

CLEAR Windolene or Mr. Muscle Glass and a microfibre towel: spray the
screen, wipe immediately with the towel.
source: years of experience.

> 2) Mouse mats, which ones work?  I have two cheap neoprene ones and my
> Logitech mouse "stalls" at fixed points on them and I'll be damned if I
> can see anything on the mats themselves.  An old Linux Format is doing
> grand as a stand-in, but I'd prefer something a bit more proper.
>
> Hah!  Maybe that's a Nottinghack project; build a better mouse mat!
>
> Cheers,

Is it a ball mouse? Or an optical one? There's a difference between the
two as to which surfaces work best. Older optical mice tend to work
brilliantly on fine matte surfaces such as pants legs or £1 fabric mouse
mats, while the newer ones (I have several) are absolutely fine on glass
coffee tables. Roller mice are very much prone to picking up dust and
grease, this is probably a factor in the stalling - have a look at the
rollers. I have a Logitech trackball in daily use, I have to strip it
and deep clean it once a month, with twice daily degunking of the ride
points. I'd say the best surfaces for roller mice are smooth with poor
absorption (such as dense vinyl tiling (decorated mousemat), fabric
mousemats are awful for roller mice).