[Nottingham] Spilt coffee and mice

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Mar 23 12:48:39 UTC 2012

On 23/03/12 12:28, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
>> And I can highly recommend using a small graphics tablet and stylus
>> rather than those big clunky unwieldy hand-held mouse-like things...
>> Fast and intuitive. You can even draw and sketch for any artists in the
>> group.
>
> Can you recommend a specific model? I've had a couple of cheap ones in
> the past and they didn't always work well with Linux. Pen pressure in
> particular never worked properly. Can they work with multiple monitors
> too?

I'm still using an old Wacom. Works fine still and there's a lively dev
list for the Wacom devices. Most are supported automatically but you
best had check the LinuxWacom-discuss list to check for whichever you
are tempted to try. There's quite a range in quality and results...

And yes, they work across multiple monitors if you can sort out your
Xorg or whatever... It's just another pointing device just like a mouse,
except that you can set to use relative (mouselike) or absolute
(absolute pointing) mode. I've scaled mine so that I get full screen
traversal for just a twitch of my fingers. No hand or arm movement
needed so no RSI!

For taking advantage of pressure and angle, whatever application you're
using needs to support that.

Let us know what you find!

martin at ml1.co.uk