[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue May 1 15:56:53 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have an HP Photosmart C4780 - a wireless printer. In the good old days prior to 2009 you
could type at a terminal hplip. Then the device manager would run and you could install your
HP wireless printer.

Now you  can install the funky but entirely useless graphical user interface. I say entirely
useless for good reason. Every version of Ubuntu and every version of opensuse have this
graphical useless interface. Sure you can plug in your usb cable and you must leave it in -
for without  it you have no printer. That's right Ubuntu and opensuse do not support HP
Wireless printers.

I downloaded from HP their latest set of drivers (hplip-3.12.4.run) and all I thought was
well - and I decided via my terminal (having connected to the wireless network and when
prompted to take out my usb - only to find no wireless printer) and typed hplip - no file
found.

So I thought perhaps not to install the graphical user interface. That did not work either.
So I gave up with opensuse-LXDE - but I may go back as their is no way to log on as root in
the latest Ubuntu which is why I say ALL Linux Distros are basically crap now. Anyway I am
still persisting with the latest crap from Ubuntu by installing and older version of hplip
but have got the following warning:

warning: There are 7 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)
warning: This installer cannot install 'gcc' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this
dependency and re-run this installer.

So I have installed the dependencies - so have another go! And get:
warning: There are 6 missing REQUIRED dependencies.
note: Installation of dependencies requires an active internet connection.
warning: Missing REQUIRED dependency: python-devel (Python devel - Python development files)
warning: This installer cannot install 'python-devel' for your distro/OS and/or version.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency. Please manually install this
dependency and re-run this installed

So now I install 119 files ....... and wait. Oh and another thing there's no scroll bar with
the terminal - the more I find what's wrong with Ubuntu the more I think that Microsoft has
had a very very strong hand in writing the code for Ubuntu.

You wonder what kind of an  idiot scrapped root? Am thinking maybe I will go over to
Microsoft XP and give up with all this crap. Ubuntu says "you have freedom." Er no we at
Ubuntu decide what programmes you can have and we decide what look and feel you have - so
Ubuntu are saying "Fuck end users - let's give them a Microsoft (funded) experience".

Opensuse should be re-branded to closedsuse - Ubuntu? "loadofbollocks" I know let's have a
competition to rename Ubuntu!! I'm still waiting for 23 files to download. Coffee. Having
continued the download performance for over an hour I realise that Ubuntu is one of the
worst Linux Distros.

Oh yes - there was a good for my uninstalling closedsuse-lxde. For having installed my hp
printer and having to keep the usb cable in - I found that Glabels was only aable to print
two sheets of my social card - and no matter what I did for four and a half hours I was
unable to get libreoffice toprint neither could I do a test print via the HP graphical user
interface. So at one thirty am I decided to reinstall"loadofbollocks." Libusb?

I give up now 5pm - I've spent all day from 8 am trying to  resolve this issue. Windows XP
here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html