[Nottingham] hplip what' wrong?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:31:41 UTC 2012

On 03/05/12 00:25, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> So no wireless networking for the HP Photosmart 4780 CentOS Debian Fedora Gentoo Linux Mint
> Mandriva PCLinux Red Hat Slackware Suse and Ubuntu all of which I have tried.

When I was setting it up on Ubuntu 10.10, I found that whatever
Canonical's printer GUI was wrapping (prolly some Gnome thing) was
pretty useless.  It got some printer functions OK, but not everything.
After install hplip (I am using 3.11.5) I ran "hp-setup" and that took
me through a slightly different process.

This used HP specific tools and whilst you will not get all
functionality (as HP does not support GNU/Linux outside of the
enterprise) you will get the major features.

More details here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/hp_setup.html

Cheers,

Jason