[Nottingham] Data protection

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:38:28 UTC 2012

On 03/05/12 06:48, T.J long thing wrote:
> Does any one know if the data protection act mentions you must keep data secure.
I'm pretty sure it's in there (don't ask me to quote chapter and verse,
mind Principles 2 and 7 would seem to be candidates).  Not only must it
be "secure" in the cyrpto sense (i.e. SSL et al), it must also be secure
within the business so that it is only accessed legitimately.  For
example, you probably don't care if a cashier looks up your address in
their day-to-day, the janitor doing same might make you uneasy.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_7.aspx

Of course, there's what you and I think the law says and what the people
who can pay for private lunches will tell those in power what the law
actually says...

Jason