[Nottingham] root/sudo

Paul Sladen notlug at paul.sladen.org
Fri May 4 13:49:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, 3 May 2012, david at gbenet.com wrote:
> I have drawn many comments re: Ubuntu. And I much appreciate them. But I like the option to
> log in as root

A root password needs to be set, as documented in 'man sudo_root':

  sudo passwd root

> which clearly Ubuntu does not want you to do.

Ubuntu users are welcomed and free to do as they wish; it is a little
harder to support people with non-standard/legacy setups and this is
why it is not recommended.

	-Paul

The original motivation (security and auditing improvements aside)
for sudo-by-default was to remove two questions from the installer.