[Nottingham] Media Centre Linux distro?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 8 15:09:19 UTC 2012

On 08/05/12 09:44, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 08/05/12 08:56, Benjamin Crowe wrote:
>> I don't have a TV license (but thats another story)
> BURN THE HERETIC!  :-)
>
> Do the TV Licensing lot give you any grief?  "Sir, you have a TV* which
> is capable of receiving a signal.  You must pay."

And there is the big problem...

For the small percentage that truly do not have any sort of TV, they are
assumed all to be guilty amongst the larger percentage who do have a TV
and don't bother or can't or refuse to pay.

Assumed guilty due to no sane civilised person possibly NOT having a TV?

Also, I guess we are all guilty regardless of assumed "copyright theft"
by merely having an internet connection... Now pay your extortion to the
RIAA, MPA, BPI, Hollywood, and whatever other media giants?... Or pay to
whatever backstreet solicitors that chooses to send out random
threatening speculative invoices of extortion?...

And then there /should/ be the ideal of presumed innocent until *proven*
otherwise... All in a free world?

More positively, I think the BBC is great and worthwhile institution and
all the more great for not being sullied by advertising. The World
Service is also a fantastic promotion of British interest and a
reasonably impartial service for everyone worldwide.

Shame a few big corporates are out to spoil the party...

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg