[Nottingham] Media Centre Linux distro?

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Wed May 9 09:05:02 UTC 2012

On 09/05/12 09:26, Jason Irwin wrote:
> On 09/05/12 09:00, Michael Erskine wrote:
>> These particular laws are artificial constructs: just a way of
>> ensuring (enforcing) a revenue stream.
> That wasn't the original plan, it was to ensure the creator could earn a
> crust but now corporate machinations have taken over.  Many creators are
> salaried (e.g. animators) and the copyright is owned by a non-human,
> immortal entity (the company).  The companies also have form for
> screwing over the artists they employ/represent (e.g. Harry Potter made
> a loss!).
>
> In the fight to overthrow the corporate hold on cluture I fear that a
> large middle-ground of artists might be getting it in the neck.  They
> derive funds from directly their work and are thus at direct risk of
> piracy (the real minnows are more at risk from obscurity than piracy).
> Piracy is no real risk for the majors anyway.  Despite being heavily
> pirated the new Avengers movie just broke box office records (grossing
> US$200mill).  Piracy is thought to have knocked about 0.5% off the top
> (that is assuming that every piracy was a lost theatre sale; it probably
> wasn't).  So for around US$1-2mill, corporates want to slaughter our
> culture and make copyright a effectively tax for future generations.
> That cannot be right.
>
> I am not sure what the answer is, but I do think the laws need revisited
> as the balance has shifted too far in favour of the corporates which is
> bad for society, bad for art and bad for the artists.  By "art" I mean
> any creative process; painting, music, acting, writing etc.
>
>> it is tough to opt out.
> No it isn't.  It just a matter of doing so and not buying their output.
>
> Plenty of good music on Jamendo and Magnatune, plenty of good movies
> coming out via other channels ("The Tunnel", "Iron Sky").  You won't see
> any major players and you will have to seek out decent stuff ("Rathole
> Radio" might be of help).  Personally I am not incensed enough to do so
> (yet), but I do try my best to avoid the major cinema companies and
> frequent the independents like the Savoy (cheaper too).
>
> So even if one doesn't want to give up one's Miley Cyrus fan club
> membership just yet, there are still things one can do.
>
> You may wish to check out UK rapper "Dan Bull" to see what he thinks of
> the matter.  Rather funny.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZUSn7I-zNo

We all bemoan having to pay a licence fee. But the BBC is supposed to be independent of
commercial considerations - not-for-profit.

If we scrapped it - what then? Virgin Media? Which lies for profit? Sky Media? Which lies
for profit?

Public broadcasting journalists are supposed to have a code of ethics. Not so in the
commercial world where for-profit-motives drive the corporation.

On the whole the BBC has been more left-wing over the last 40 years. Our commercial
for-profit media has been more right-wing anti-people over the same period. I would not have
Virgin Media in the house. Why? They have no ethics apart from making money. I'd not have
sky Media for the same reasons.

Today people do not make ethical choices -  but rather on the level of entertainment
packages they get for their money. I support an independent non-biased ethical media which
does not serve up mind  numbing light entertainment for mass consumption - all of which
Virgin Media and Sky Media do.

As an ex-card carrying NUJ Journalist I'd talk with my colleagues who worked for the
for-profit media - all said that they had to do things - which made them feel "grubby" i.e.
ethically uncomfortable. The pressure of shareholders to increase profits increase market
share means that corporate and journalistic ethics are put on the back burner and forgotten.
We have only to look at the resent phone hacking scandal.

The argument of what to do about a  licence fee has gone on for more than 40 years. A bit
like Maggy Thatcher selling off council houses - the reason? People with a mortgage do not
go on strike. If you scrapped the licence fee - and all public media was purely for profit
and increased market share - all we would end up with is a corrupt media.

But then yer not thinking of that are you? All you want is to be entertained.

David

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html