[Nottingham] Is it theft to be live alive? (Was: Media Centre Linux distro?)

Brian Pickford brian at brianpickford.co.uk
Wed May 9 18:20:06 UTC 2012

On 9 May 2012 17:21, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> On 09/05/12 09:00, Michael Erskine wrote:
> > Is it theft to hum a TV theme tune in the street or remember a good
> > joke from a TV program and tell it to someone who doesn't have a
> > license? :)
>
> Reminds me of:
>
> George Orwell: 1984
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four
>
> Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farenheit_451
>

> That also reminds me of:
>
> More CCTV cameras than there are public to 'monitor';

I use CCTV at home and find it useful, like the fat lady that stole my milk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJuyvC6kpo
cctv has it's place, the more cctv there is, the more anonymous you are, as
sensible analysis becomes impossible even with face recognition ... with
the current technology at any rate.

> ANR to 'monitor' where you drive and where you park your vehicle;

This has it's place also, why should I pay for the fuel that others steal?
Why should I accept that having a collision with an uninsured driver costs
me money when I renew?

CCTV / ANR also has sharp practice as I found out recently when
I received a demand for 60£ for spending 20 mins longer in ALDI car park
than their T&C allow. Fortunately I have a company car and the co sec took
it upon himself to do battle with the company and the escalating fees /
threats ... they gave up in the end, claiming the law on their side and
bailiff support where they had no such thing. Thuggery using new
tech. rather than the inevitable slide to dictatorship IMO

> Gatsos to 'monitor' how fast you drive;

That's OK too IMO, slow down, cause less hurt. I'm no angel, but I agree
with the principle, speed LIMIT.

> And we are quickly moving towards unfettered GPS position and network
> location 'monitoring' for where you are at every instant if you are a
> part of society with one of those moby thingies.

I disagree on the unfetted part here, personal information is the big deal
for the 21st century citizen, we need to catch up as a society and ensure
our freedoms are protected. This sort of unfetted intrusion is illegal
today, I think the Police have a process to follow if they want cell tower
data for a mobile number, not sure what it entails.

> How long before the ever more pervasive CCTV monitoring includes
> microphones?...
>

> > These particular laws are artificial constructs: just a way of
> > ensuring (enforcing) a revenue stream. They're largely accepted,
> > albeit begrudgingly, by most in our society. Individuals can choose
> > whether they want to participate but the assumption is that everyone
> > does and it is tough to opt out. Breaking these laws...
>
> ... is something that needs to be done, but still legally, and before we
> are all legally made unavoidably guilty and randomly prey to the
> "speculative invoicing" or worse. That "speculative" 'trick' has already
> been perpetrated randomly on behalf of one small part of the music
> industry against anyone randomly associated with an internet address,
> whether the victim knew anything of that or not! I'm sure we'll see new
> variants on that despicable theme. Lawyers letters for most people are
> very scary.
>
> At least that one avenue of extortion has been slammed shut by a recent
> legal case:
>
> An IP Address Does Not Identify a Person, Rules Judge
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/news/torrent-download-Piracy-IP-address-porn,15548.html
>

> Shame the jingo-istic media miss the point completely and paste up a
> jolly pirate picture!
>
> Shame also for the thousands that were stung with 'extortion', real
> fear, and heartache, every month for the few years that abomination of
> an operation was perpetrated. Was that called ACS Law?... (Just my very
> personal opinion of course.)

This sort of sharp practice is nothing new, technology enables new scams.
It takes time for society to catch up.
I can think of a few that are not related to rights enforcement like energy
switching and miss-selling or the current bugbear of mine, mobile pay
'services'

> And what happens when IPv6 is more widely used that uniquely identifies
> a particular personal device?
>

> I'm sure there's going to be many more speculative stings foisted on
> ever more new victims as such monitoring information falls into the
> hands of ever more 'operators'.
>
> Add facial recognition and...
>

> A daily list of all your new friends and acquaintances sold to the
> highest bidder by whatever enterprising PI?...
>
> A video file of you dropping a bus ticket on the floor is to be emailed
> to the Magistrates for a £200 fine unless you immediately pay £100 for
> exclusive rights to the video clip...

Your not paranoid if they'er out to get ya ... just ring the hot line, they
are expecting your call ...

> Just for two small examples...
>

> All on your street... How long? How soon?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Get Mythtv and set yourselves free ... ish