[Nottingham] Is it theft to be live alive? (Was: Media Centre Linux distro?)

Alex Holt alex.holt at ntlworld.com
Thu May 10 07:19:34 UTC 2012

On 10/05/2012 07:14, James Moore wrote:
>> And what happens when IPv6 is more widely used that uniquely identifies
>> a particular personal device?
>
> Dumb question of course; when it takes over IPv4 as the dominant
> protocol then any hint of anonymity is gone. IPv4 will die as will any
> devices that can't upgrade.

That's not typically true. The usual case is that RFC 4941 Privacy
Extension addresses are turned on, and each computer generates a new
ephemeral address every 24 hours to use for outgoing connections. Since
the address is random there's no information in it to identify the
specific computer.

(Given the list I'm posting this to, I should mention the non-typical
case: privacy extensions are enabled by default on Windows but not on
Linux. Enable them by setting net.ipv6.conf.<interface>.use_tempaddr=2)