[Nottingham] Is it theft to be live alive? (Was: Media Centre Linux distro?)

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 13:17:40 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 13:28, David Aldred wrote:
> Hmm.  Infrequent drivers pay for
> very little fuel, and are overrepresented in third party costs (as they
> tend to hit things due to lack of familiarity).   People with the latest
> cars - the rich, generally - pay less (per mile) as their
> fuel consumption is lower - the poor are taxed more.
I know it's not perfect but why does that me we /must/ default to
surveillance?  Are we so bereft of innovation and creativity that we
need the dead-hand of a machine to watch us?

> Of course, underlying this is the bigger question, of how society works
> without any real common basis of morality and hence any common
> acceptance of standards and regulation, but that's one for the
> secularists to explain, not me.
Hmm...I think that as rational humans beings (ignoring the outliers) we
actually do have a common basis of morality.  Sure, manners and common
practice may differ from place-to-place but "Don't be a sod and treat
others as I wish to be treated" is pretty universal.  But now we really
are getting away from the original topic.

--
Jason Irwin