[Nottingham] key-signing - what next - by the way

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Thu May 10 19:39:48 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 07:55 AM, James Moore wrote:

> By the way,
>
> I tried to install 32 and 64 bit Debian but the iso were all corrupted that I downloaded -
> failed to install GRUB boot loader - I tried LUbuntu but the gpg-agen failed to run or even
> recognize I had a public key. So I am back to opensuse 11.4 with LXDE. Which is great!!
>
> I have Fedora 16 with LXDE on another laptop - so when I put the screws back in another -
> what shall I put on it? Opensuse 12 with KDE?
>
> David
>
> -- “See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
> kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
> delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html

> I think I've said it before on another thread (it might have been slashdot), OpenSuSE
> releases of the x.1 or x.2 persuasion have been complete roadkill in my experience. x.4 is
> pretty stable and the hardware support is practically faultless.
>
> As for your Grub problem; I've come across something like this and solved by booting to an
> overlay program to completely wipe the partition table - some COTS systems have hidden
> partitions and recovery options as part of a custom bootloader loaded into the MBR; how they
> managed this with Windows wanting the MBR is a mystery to me. But wiping the PT and zeroing
> the MBR prior to Linux installation usually fixes it.

Hello James,

I discovered that opensuse will not install on a bare drive i.e. no partition. I used to use
Paragon to delete partitions etc. but have gone back to using Dfsee am a registered user and
it's got tools to erase your MBR copy MBR make a bootable USB and generally play around
another good set of tools are linux recovery cd - but you can't mount partitions and recover
data or back up data with Dfsee or the Linu recovery CD.

I'm currently on my spare Fedora 16 32 bit laptop. Opensuse locked me out as a user - only
root remained. Also my .gnupg files got corrupted - but appear to be working fine on Fedora.
I tried to install Mandriva but got stuck in a repetitive loop so tossed the CD in the bin
:) now waiting for the end of format so I can install opensuse lxde again.

I at first thought that I'd downloaded a virus (pretty remote I know) but why could I be
logged out? I copied files as root saving them and deleted "david" and created an account
called "seadog" but as soon as I copied over my e-mails and my .gnupg files - I logged out
and was unable to log back in as seadog. In Openpgp it was claiming that it could not sign
with a sub-key that had expired - wow! In fact I could not sign or decrypt any mail!!

But on Fedora-16 no probs. Oh well - I will figure out what's going on when I reinstall
opensuse.

David

- --