[Nottingham] Is it theft to be live alive? (Was: Media Centre Linux distro?)

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Thu May 10 19:57:48 UTC 2012

On 05/10/2012 12:39 AM, Martin wrote:
> Godfrey,
>
> On 09/05/12 20:26, godfrey at gnnix.co.uk wrote:
> [---]
>> belief and faith. Faith in human decency if nothing else. If nobody stole from
>> others then no need for CCTV cameras. Likewise if no-one had a traffic
>> accident.  And given a choice between paying to watch BBC and having the
>> rubbish I hear is peddled on channels with advertising, I would have BBC any
>> day.
>> Because others break the law with seeming impunity does not give any of us the
>> right to do the same. The result would be total anarchy. Campaign to have laws
>> changed, certainly, and in the present climate you may find many more in
>> agreement with some changes than even a few years ago. But in the meantime,
>> show others up, by your honesty and trustworthiness, kindness and generosity.
>>
>> Best wishes to you all,
>> Godfrey
>
> Very good to have you on the list. Long time no hear, and good comment.
>
> I'd also add good education and understanding to your list.
>

> Here's hoping, but I fear our education system has been too long
> neglected, and the mass media is far too corrupting... Even so, intimate
> mass surveillance is not the answer.
>

> Regards,
> Martin

My Girlfriend and I went out for lunch on Sunday - not me birthday :) we ordered a meal then
I suggested we go outside lunch was duly served - we ordered desert - then it came to pay up
and I stuck my credit card in the machine got my receipt and thought no more of it. Until as
we were leaving my girlfriend asked me how much it cost - my till receipt was for 9.99 we
had just been charged for desert.

Now some may think "I got a free lunch!" But I went back in and up to the bar and explained
what had happened. They were gob smacked at my honesty. I was indifferent to my behaviour.
Trust is part of our behaviour as much as honesty  good code of conduct and ethics.

David
PS My Birthday was on the 8th had lobster for lunch!! Wow!!

- --
“See the sanity of the man! No gods, no angels, no demons, no body. Nothing of the
kind.Stern, sane,every brain-cell perfect and complete even at the moment of death. No
delusion.” https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html