[Nottingham] How to partition a server for general home use?

Alex Holt alex.holt at ntlworld.com
Thu May 10 21:36:07 UTC 2012

On 10/05/2012 22:01, Jason Irwin wrote:
> How to partition the bugger?
> I'd like the drives to be in RAID1.  Fine, that's easy enough.
> I'd also like to use LVM for at least /home so that if I add other
> drives later I have less grief.
> But can /boot be on LVM?  What about /?  The docs I am finding say "no"
> to both.  And what about swap?

Sure can to all of those. I have a single / on LVM-on-RAID1 and it boots
just fine. grub2 might be a requirement; I use Debian Stable and the
installer can set this all up for you. Swap works fine on LVM, although
I use `swapspace` to avoid having to dedicate space to swap I rarely use.

Make sure you install grub to both drives at some point (either in the
installer, if it does it, or manually yourself afterwards), otherwise
your system will be unbootable if the wrong drive dies.