[Nottingham] Extreme partitioning [was: RAID stripe size?]

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 16:15:06 UTC 2012

On 16/05/12 16:53, Jason Irwin wrote:
> I just remembered about this.  Does it apply to spinning platters as
> well as to SSDs?
To answer myself; yes, yes it does.  See this like originally posted by
Martin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_format

> And if it does, how does one check things at a fine enough level to see
> what is going on?
Turns out the drives I have are "Advanced Format" which I didn't expect
and there's no logo or anything on the drive to tell you.  I only found
out from the tech specs on the Seagate site.

So it seems I should be concerned about this.  Any tools to help?
Beyond a bare OS the drives are empty - so I don't care about splatting
them.

--
Jason Irwin